Friday 24 July 2015

Tabaukaucoro the Pacific Sprint King


Tabakaucoro coming in for the record breaking win in the 200m

By FIDELIS SUKINA

Pacific sprint King Ratu Banuve Tabakaucoro put in a thriller of a performance saving the best for last setting a new games record in the 200meter final.

His closest rival Papua New Guineas 400meter gold medalist Nelson Stone came in second grabbing the silver and Theo Piniau picked up the bronze.

From the blocks Tabakaucoro burst out and set the pace in the race all the way to the finish clocking in 20.53 seconds, the new Games Record for the 200m in the Pacific games.

Stone clocked and impressive 21.28 seconds and Theo Paniau clocked in 21.37
Tabakaucoro  already planned to break the games record but hoped he would have gone for the Olympic Qualifier

“I knew the record was going to go today despite a strong competition by Nelson and Theo, again the crowd was great tremendous, and I am really happy to come out with the record today”

Tabaulaucoro waving to the crowd
“I was thinking of going under the Olympic qualifier but 20.50 seconds, just .03 short of the record, I tightened up a bit in the race but that can be fixed” Tabakaucoro said

He said his next feat will be the world championships in China where he hopes to qualify for the Olympics.

“I have the world championships in China next month, a bigger stage with world class runners and veteran runners; it’s a good opportunity to beat the national records for Fiji in the 200meter and 100meter and hopefully qualify for the Olympics”

“I dedicate this win to the crowd here in Moresby and Fiji Athletics” Tabakaucoro said

Nelson stone was disappointed but was happy the crowd was here for the athletes of team PNG.


“People were expecting me to turn things around but it’s really beyond my control, at the end of the day the best man wins and it was the Fijian but team PNG is doing well because of this crowd team PNG is lifting without such support I don’t think there would be the drive to achieve” he said

In the 100meters he came  through for his beloved Fiji, blitzing out the competition right from the start winning gold with an impressive time of 10.55 seconds.

But it was not that easy for the young Fijian sprinter, seeing some of his weaknesses come to light during the final. 

“I am very pleased with my performance not the time I was really expecting, but the wind wasn’t very kind to me tonight.”
Tabakaucoro showing the Fiji flag for a photo shoot


“Some of my weaknesses came out tonight hopefully I can fix that with my coach.” Tabakaucoro said

He felt he didn’t have good control of himself during the race but was happy he got the Gold Medal.
“Coming out into the first 30 I felt I stumbled a bit but I gained momentum in the last 50 and I felt like I tightened up too much in the last 30.”

“It was not the time I was expecting tonight but I came away with Gold and I am pleased with that.”  Tabakaucoro said

He said the PNG crowd was passionate and reminded him of his home crowd, he added that he had the world championships in August to prepare for.

“I have the World Championships in August after that we will probably go back to the drawing board and fix, these little weaknesses” Tabakaucoro said

Tetull Rodman of Palau came in for the silver with a time of 10.98, while Papua New Guinean and sibling to Toea Wisil Kupun Wisil settled for bronze in a time of 11.04 seconds. 

No comments: