Friday 24 July 2015

Solomon Islanders dominate in 10, 000m

Sharon Kikini Firisua leading in the Womens 10,000m
where she won Gold Medal
By FIDELIS SUKINA

Solomon Islands grabbed their second gold in the 10,000m this time in the women’s heats for Sharon Kikini Firisua clocking in 38 minutes and 33 seconds in her second ever race in the 10, 000m.

 Their first 10, 000m gold came from Rosefelo Siosi who won in the men’s division with an impressive time of 33minutes and 6seconds. Bisamo Kupsy of Papua New Guinea came third for the bronze with a time of 33 minutes and 31 seconds, right behind New Caledonian Benfodda Nordine who clocked in 33 minutes and 24 seconds for Silver.

Rosefelo sacrificed a year of study to take part and win the gold for his country, and he dedicated the race to the people in the Solomon Islands who lost their lives in a big flood last year.

“One year I wasn’t schooling I was just training for this race, I thank my coach and the spectators for their support, and I dedicate this gold to my people of the Solomon Islands who died during the big flood last year”

Rosefelo Siosi at the finish line of his 10,000m race
which he won gold aswell 
Sharon previously ran the 5000m and compared it to being her best against the 10,000m

“The 5000m is my best event and this is my second time ever to run the 10, 000m, but I am happy I got gold an I am very happy with my time” Sharon said

She dedicated her win to her late father who passed away last year.

“My father he passed away in 2014, I dedicated the win to him, my family was watching as I got my second pacific games gold, I gave it my all, my full aim and commitment, Solomon Islanders are really happy right now watching me win this event”  Sharon said

Ongan Awa of PNG came in second with 39 minutes and 7 seconds and Tahitian Elodie Menou also grabbed the Bronze with a time of 39 minutes and 32 seco

No comments: