Friday 24 July 2015

Great Achievement for a young Athlete

Young Ongan Awa all smiles after her Silver Medal Performance in the 10,000m 

By FIDELIS SUKINA

Running for more than 38 minutes around the track for 25 laps seems more like a mountain climb, well for Papua New Guinea Ongan Awa she is a medalist in that event.

The most intriguing of it is the fact that she is only 14 years old and running the 10,000m with some of the most experienced runners in the pacific.

She ran an impressive time of 39 minutes and 7 seconds to claim silver in the 10,000m coming in second from Solomon Islander Sharon Kikini Firisua who clocked in 38 minutes and 33 seconds to claim gold.

Ongan’s counterpart Mary Kua 13 years old that came in third missed her claim for bronze after she removed her bib that had her name on it and threw it away on the 10th lap; the action went against IAAF - International Association of Athletics Federations rules, giving Elodie Menou Mevel of Thaiti the Bronze Medal.

Ongan is from a mixed parentage of Goroka and Popondetta, a shy young girl she found it quite hard to express her great achievement.

“I’m happy and being a 14 year old I ran a pretty good time, my fist pacific games too and I am looking forward to the next games already.”

“I came out with my plan and I knew I would last the race and I am very happy.” she said with a smile

“I would like to thank my coaches and the crowds for their support, and my mummy and daddy to.” Ongan said


She said she started running and gaining interest for the sport back in 2010 while still doing her grade 3.

No comments: