Friday 24 July 2015

Medalist dedicates win to family

Guba Hale Mea with her medals from the Pacific games
By FIDELIS SUKINA

Guba Hale Mea had a lot to celebrate snatching two gold medals and a silver in her 65kg division during the 15th Pacific games in weightlifting.

But she had two special people in her heart and mind during her stunning performance; she dedicated her win to her nephew and sister who both passed away earlier during her preparations.

“I was not here when my nephew and sister passed away I was still training so my father told me to stay on and continue, so today I dedicate this two gold medals to my nephew and sister.”
“One gold medal for my nephew one gold medal for my sister and a silver medal for me” she said showing her medals.

Despite only training for two and a half months at the Oceania Weightlifting Institute in New Caledonia the 29 year old did not lose focus on her dream of being the pacific champion in her weight division.

Guba Hale Mea during her Gold Medal Performance
“I always have this dream of being the Pacific Champion here in my home country, and my training and determination has made me remain single to achieve this.”

“I trained in New Caledonia in 2013 and 2014 but came back due to family commitments but I returned just two and a half months ago to prepare for the games.” she said

The PNG Power Dome was all cheers as she grabbed two gold medals and silver in the women’s 69Kg division in weightlifting.

She lifted a total of 188kg to grab the overall, and grabbed the other in the  she took the gold in the snatch with an impressive final lift of 83kg while she settled for Silver in the clean and jerk coming in second.

 “We lifted the same weight of 105kg but her (Vanessa Sam Liu) Samoa had a smaller body weight from me so she was given the gold in the clean and jerk” Mea said


Guba’s Body Weight was (68.77) while Vanessa’s was (68.46kg) they both could no lift the winning weight of 111kg for the ultimate gold winner.

No comments: