Tuesday 13 February 2018

Widnes Fans love the Albert brothers (Post Courier 13/02/18)

The Albert Brothers (Wellington)
with a fan holding a Kumuls World Cup
 merchandise with Brother Stanton
 pic by John Hughes Widnes Vikings club

RUGBY LEAGUE

BY FIDELIS SUKINA

THE Albert brothers, Wellington and Stanton are embracing the hospitality at their new Super League Club, the Widnes Vikings.

In an audio recording supplied to Post-Courier by John Hughes, director of communication and digital engagement with the Vikings confirmed the brothers’ amazement towards the support shown by the fans.

The brothers gave an interview of their experience so far at their first official public appearance for the club in a fan engagement meeting stronghold members and supporters on Friday where fans brought shirts, PNG flags and tributes to the late Kato Ottio.

Wellington Albert who made his debut for the club against the Catalan Dragons in a 40-12 win, said he enjoyed the sight of PNG flags and chants in his honour, in an overwhelming display of support for the two PNG internationals.

“Good to have the first win for the team. The crowd was good and they turned out in numbers. They were singing for me as well “Go Wellington Albert!” There were PNG flags as well I saw eight PNG flags out there and I thought I was playing a test match in the Kumuls because the Widnes fans bought the flags. Best debut I will never forget it.

“Fans here … they all love me and they shake hands with me and say welcome to Widnes. I have never experienced that before with other clubs. The fans go crazy supporting us and messaging us on Facebook as well and checking up on us. On how we are doing and if we needed help,” Wellington said.

Wellington added that training is good and he can’t wait to play alongside his brother Stanton who is yet to make his debut.

“Our first training session was really freezing. That was the day after we arrived. It was in the pouring rain and I think I got brain freeze but we are getting use to it.
The Albert Brothers Wellington (left) with a fan
holding a tribute to  the late Kato Ottio  with Brother Stanton
pic by John Hughes Widnes Vikings club

"I am really looking forward to Stanton playing alongside me. He is a big guy and we boast each other up in the game,” Wellington said.

Stanton said he still needed to train to get familiar with the combinations before he can make his debut. But he said the crowd was welcoming and can’t wait for his debut.

“Training going well coach wants me to do more combinations with the halves weather is quite different, the reaction is really amazing they are always crazy to see us make us feel welcome we love to be here. I would like to extend my thanks as well to the fans in PNG for their support since day one and keep on supporting us,” Stanton said.

No comments: