Thursday 5 January 2017

Nelson Stone ready for 2017 (Post Courier 20/12/16)

Nelson Stone 
By FIDELIS SUKINA

PNG Pacific games 400 meters Gold medalist Nelson Stone says he still has 4 more years in his career and will be working hard once he gets back into training.

He had to contend with a knee injury and also deal with personal issues this year, but the 32 year old says he will be back into training once the Sir John Guise stadium is open for Athletics training.

“I believe I have another four years left in me, so I am waiting for the stadium to open and dig deep again, and like I use to many years ago I do it on my own and I am really going to prove myself If I am going to come back I am going to really prove myself and prove that I am still around and a force to be reckoned with,”

“It will be a big ask for me to get back to the top we have athletes like Theo Piniau and Kaminiel Matlaun and they are very good.

“So I am waiting for the stadium to open and dig deep again, and like I use to many years ago I do it on my own and I am really going to prove myself If I am going to come back I am going to really prove myself and prove that I am still around and force to be reckoned with,” Stone said.

He said age wasn’t a problem because, and despite the criticism he is willing to prove critics wrong.

“There is always an issue with age we Papua New Guineas when you go past 30 people will always question your ability and your form.

“My biggest achievement is the pacific games last year and I was 31 and I still won in style and I know I can do it if Mohamed Ali my hero can go as far as 38 and still be a great champion I can do it, I have boxing Icons and Bernard Hopkins also finished his boxing career on Sunday at 51 years of age,”

He said he would be targeting the 10th Pacific Mini Games are scheduled to be held in Port Vila, Vanuatu, in December 2017.

“If I get back on the track and focus hard and am the man I use to be, it will be a “Watch Out” to all the young talent out there and I will be coming back really hard.

“I am aiming the mini Pacific Games I haven’t been there in my athletics career, that’s the only thing missing in my CV,” Stone said

No comments: