Saturday 13 August 2016

Pini happy about representing PNG

Ryan Pini as the flag Barer for Team PNG at the Opening Ceremony of the Rio Olympics This is his final Olympic appearance for PNG 
Ryan Pini was hoping to push himself hard in his pet event the 100m butterfly but could only manage a time of 53.24s outside of his qualifying time of 52.86s.

Despite his result he is proud to have represented Papua New Guinea since 2004 in the Olympics, one of his greatest achievements was swimming in the finals in the Beijing Olympics in 2008.

In an interview after the race The 35 year old said it would have been much better to have more races before a final but that didn’t eventuate.

“I was hoping to push myself a bit harder and swim a faster time in order to reach the semi's” “It would have been better to have a couple more races prior to doing the 100m butterfly to allow me to get comfortable with the pre-race set-up and the racing environment but unfortunately this wasn’t the case” “I’m grateful to my team PNG teammates who were able to come out and support and me and for all the people in PNG that woke up to watch the race."
Ryan Pini looking up at the clock to check his time
at his 100m butterfly at Rio this week.

“The Rio Games have been great for swimming. The pool layout in is nice, especially with bringing the Oceania swimmers together” “It was amazing to carry the PNG flag at the Opening Ceremony, a special moment which I will cherish"

Ryan said a lot has changed over the past Olympics since he first represented PNG in the 2004 Athens Olympics.

“Athletes are more comfortable with each other and more sociable”; “Influence of Social Media has made such a big difference on a variety of levels”; “Athletes having more sway on things and demanding more”

He added that he was proud of his achievement to represent PNG in the Olympics and has grown use to the competition.

Pini during the 100m butterfly at Rio
It felt amazing to compete in my fourth Olympics. With my first Olympics in 2004 in Athens I was so excited to be at the Olympics that I remember taking photos with the Olympic Rings whenever I cam across them. Now in my fourth Games I’m happy to say I’ve grown used to seeing the rings and its easier for me tor remained focused on my training and competition.” 

"I love representing my country and to be able to do it four times at the highest level of sporting competition is something very special."

 Ryan is also one of 24 candidates up for the IOC Athletes Commission elections during the Rio Olympics. Athletes from all countries are allowed to vote for 4 candidates. The top 4 vote getters will be announced at the Closing Ceremony and will take of positions within the IOC’s Athletes Commission.


No comments: