Monday 22 June 2015

Delma an aspiring young talent forging ahead



Delma Minei 

By FIDELIS SUKINA

Delma Minei is currently hitting the airwaves in Papua New Guinea with her song “Soul Peace  Love” and is a voice that stuns and brings hope to a lot of young aspiring women singers in Papua New Guinea

The 26 year old from a mixed parentage of East Sepik, Manus and East New Britain, was the second runner up from the prestigious Vocal Fusion during its first season last year, bagging a recording contract with CHM as part of the winners package.

 I had the opportunity to interview the energetic and enthusiastic R n B and Rock fan at the CHM studio early in the year.

She is a charming young woman, with the aspirations to go all the way to reach the pinnacle of her singing career.

She is looking forward to an illustrious singing career, and has the full support of her partner and her family, driving her forward.

“I have overwhelming Support from my partner and my family, they are really supportive, they always encourage me to peruse my dreams and despite my work I put my music first and they are really supportive of it” she said with a smile.
Delma Minei during recording at the CHM studios in Port Moresby

She is the new generation of singer, song writers in her family; her earliest exposure to music was in her youth which she performed alongside her uncles in their old school contemporary PNG string bands back at Manus Province.

“I grew up in Manus I used to sing with my Uncle in his band, we did mostly charity work helping to raise money for Hospitals and other organizations” she said

A modest yet confident Thelma is really passionate, and by far her sacrifice and undying will to achieve further, from Vocal fusion is paying off.

“I’m happy for myself, and I am happy that vocal fusion had made it possible for PNG to know me”
“Nothing has changed apart from the fact that I have stopped chewing betel nut and smoking, it is a sacrifice for the better “she said smiling exposing her glowing white teeth

Being a contestant on vocal fusion was a stepping stone for bigger things to come, mentoring and vocal training from the competition bought the best out of Thelma bringing out the buried talent that stayed dormant.

“Vocal fusion is my first competition; it’s a new thing and I experienced a lot about who I am as a singer”

“The judges were very helpful they helped in some of the vocal training”

“Vocals were hidden inside we didn’t know and I found out a lot, some of my voice I never experienced it just came out”

“Best competition out of the others, I have a lot of fans and being on that show is a feeling I cannot explain” she said

She did build a fan base, and it’s growing, with her powerful captivating performances on vocal fusion resulting in frequent friend requests on Facebook.

“I’m happy people recognize me in public I am thankful for vocal fusion for making it possible for my exposure”
Me and my team with Delma Minei  

“I have friend requests coming in almost every day, so far I got 6,000 friends I am thinking of starting a page of my own” she said

Delma released her single which featured Jay Leaisi formerly known as Prote-J the native Papua New Guinean born and raised, currently based in Florida USA, he is a well renowned rapper, producer and song writer back in the states, and  Delma said it was a great  experience recording with the famous artist.  

“I am doing a mixture of local, R and B and Reggae not too much but just enough equally across all genres”

“Prote-J  he has bought in a new atmosphere of music something I am not used to, but his music and mine both blend in very well” she said

Thelma sees herself being a popular artist in the next five years, with a humble attitude and an outstanding talent aided by overwhelming support from her friends and family Thelma is on her way to achieving her goals.





No comments: